Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Kindred Spirits

One of the highlights of my spring break was spending two days doing school visits at three different schools in the North Kansas City School District. The kids were lively and well prepared, and I even came away from Bell Prairie Elementary with a possible idea for a new chapter book series: watch this spot!

But the most fun was staying for two nights with my friend April Armstrong, who in addition to being an extremely motivating school librarian is also an amazing musician (piano, fiddle, hammered dulcimer) and an even more amazing composer of her haunting compositions for solo piano. I stayed with her a year ago on a visit to her school, and instantly we recognized each other as Anne-of-Green-Gables-style "kindred spirits." Each morning we would get up early. April would go the piano and compose. I would lie on the little bed in her darling guest room and write. I have never felt more creative energy in any environment in my whole entire life.

April just has her first CD out: The Pink Rose. I am obsessed with it. I listen to it over and over again on my computer in my office and then take it with me as I drive anywhere so I can listen to it over and over again in my car. Go visit her website at http://www.pinkrosemusic.com/thepinkrose.html and buy copies of her CD for everybody you know. I want her to sell a million copies!

No comments:

Post a Comment