Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Perfect Timing

Tomorrow morning, very early, I'm off to Orlando because my book How Oliver Olson Changed the World is on the master list for the Sunshine State Young Readers Award. This means that children around the state will be reading my book, and the others on the list, preparatory to voting for their favorite title next spring. And it means that I was invited, together with the other nominated authors, to speak, sign, mix, and mingle at the Florida Association for Media in Education (FAME) conference, held this year in Orlando. My participation in this totally wonderful event will include an author panel Wednesday afternoon and talks on both Thursday and Friday, as well as other jollities.

Now, that would be fun enough, one would think. But it also happens to be the case that my sister and her husband made a last-minute decision to go on vacation in Orlando this week. And that I had already booked an extremely early-in-the-morning flight to Orlando, as there are very few nonstop options from Indianapolis, leaving me hours to spend all by myself before the opening of FAME at 4 p.m. So now Cheryl and Carey will be meeting me at the airport at 9 a.m. tomorrow, and the three of us can play all day at the Epcot Center during their International Food and Wine Festival.

How fun is that? Could timing be any more perfect than that?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to you and to Oliver! You know I love your book, How Oliver Olson Saved the World! I purchased a copy, but I gave it to a great nephew.Hmm...I may have to buy another!

    I loved your piece on YoYo Ma. Ode to joy!

    Safe & Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete