Monday, August 8, 2011

Travel Plans

According to Mapquest, there are two ways to get from Boulder, Colorado, to Greencastle, Indiana. You can take I-70: shorter in time but longer in miles (16 hrs 32 mins / 1071.51 miles). Or you can take Route 36 across northern Kansas: longer in time but shorter in miles (18 hrs 4 mins /1059.31 miles).

I've decided to take Route 36. I Googled motels at a good stopping place for the first night, St. Francis, Kansas, and saw that the options were the It'll Do Motel or the Dusty Farmer. How can I resist??? The online reviews favored the Dusty Farmer, so I have a reservation there for Thursday night. And Route 36 crosses the Mississippi at Hannibal, so I have reservations at what sounds like a charming bed and breakfast in Hannibal - the Garden House - for Friday night, with a room with a four-poster bed, overlooking the river. I can tour the Mark Twain house and Tom Sawyer's cave! Ooh!

I also rethought my choice of books-on-CD to listen to in the car. At first I bought myself Crime and Punishment, but then decided that 20 1/2 hours of it might be a bit, well, intense. So I went back to the bookstore today and bought The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, a novel based on Hemingway's years in Paris: 11 1/2 hours.

I stopped by the AAA Travel Agency and stocked up on maps. My friend Rowan has already packed me a giftbag of tasty snacks. So I am all set to go!

4 comments:

  1. Claudia, you are taking a trip through Kansas and you didn't tell me?!?!

    If you do take 36 all the way through, you will go through Smith Center, where my Mom is from (and where I spent many Christmases, Easters, and weekends). I haven't been there in a few years, but I recommend stopping at the Jiffy Burger for a milkshake or some fries!

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jiffy-burger-smith-center

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very ashamed, Annaleigh!!! I will think of you at every mile and stop at Smith Center for a milkshake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! I have very fond memories of North Central Kansas along 36!

    P.S. My friend happened to post this article on her facebook today: http://www.stltoday.com/travel/article_da43298a-5cbe-5747-986f-7eb0ea3d73f1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia dear, I so love how you've planned your trip and decided not just where to stay but WHY you're staying! So glad you packed one stuffed animal. I'll be thinking of you as we fly overhead tomorrow! Safe & happy trails, bon ami.

    ReplyDelete